Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Gloden Compass(12)

I felt that Philip Pullman’s intentention was to attack Christianity but until the end of the movie and an explanation of Mr. Hughes, did I understand that he was an atheist. Throughout the film he states “authority” and “our ancestors”. This is a clear statement referring to God and Adam and Eve. In past interviews he states, “I am all for the death of God" and "My books are about killing God.” “I've been flying under the radar, saying things that are far more subversive than anything poor old Harry Potter.”

I believe that an atheist’s point of view may seem absurd to Christians and this film definitely attempts to get rid of God. In one of the opening scenes of the film, Lord Asriel shows a group of council men a picture that he believes that “Dust” comes from a different world. (Heaven) Dust is defined as sin and it creates all the daemons in the film. The daemons represent the souls of their humans. Asriel believes that the daemons receive the Dust from the other world and this represents that God himself puts sin into us and because of this, he should be killed. I thought the movie itself was really entertaining but I do not agree with any of his beliefs. I thought it was interesting because of the extent of my imagination. I felt that the movie left me hanging but I would certainly watch it again.

No comments: